Sunday, December 4, 2011

Why wait 'til New Years?

Around the holidays, I'm always hearing people talk about their New Years resolutions. How they're going to lose x-number of pounds, how they're going to save x-amount of money for their family vacation, or how they're finally going to get their house in order.

All sounds great right? Until you look around the following December 31st and realize that none of what you had planned to do actually got done. Our tendency to put things off is our demise. We plan our New Years resolutions between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and then determine that we will put them into action at the beginning of the new year. 

But, what would happen if... instead of putting things off for a month or two... we started today? Right here. Right now. 

I know for myself at least, it's easy to put things off until tomorrow and then forget about them completely. Or when I'm faced with the reality that I actually need to do something, I find convenient excuses that allow me to put it off one more day. I never wanted to be one of those people that were obsessed with their weight, their dress size, or how they looked in pictures. Truth is, though, I'm still a girl. And I can't help it.

But, I'm also sick and tired. Sick of looking at the same numbers on a scale, the same numbers on the back of my pants, and the same lumpy self. I'm tired of thinking about feeling better, looking better, and being stronger. I'm tired of talking to others about my struggles. I'm tired of being self conscious about what I'm wearing or wondering if I really am the biggest person in the room. I'm tired of looking like this...


Tired of thinking I look great, only to see photo evidence of... not so much.

So I'm making a change. A big one.

Over the past six months, I've gotten a chance to see what it could be like to be stronger, healthier, and have better endurance. I blame Mahesh... my kickboxing instructor. He pushes you, forces you to go beyond what you think you can do.
 He's turned me into a fitness junkie. Has there been improvement, sure. Are we done yet? Not even close.

I've stopped putting my health and well being off until tomorrow... or next year. After six months, I could tell that I felt better, was stronger, and *thought* I looked better. Then came the moment of truth. The day after my little brother's 13th birthday I flipped through the pictures that we'd taken. Traditionally, mom always takes a picture of the six kids together on birthdays (now eight kids seeing as their are two married's). Lo and behold... in the group shot... I looked exactly the same as I had for the past four years of the same shot.

That was it. Enough was enough. I'm through. I'm through talking about it, through thinking about it, through daydreaming about how much better I could do at different things if I were truly fit.

Here's my challenge.... This time next year... I will be healthy again. It's going to take a lot of work. It's going to be hard. But I don't care. It's time. Time to stop complaining, stop wimping out, and stop procrastinating. I'm not going to get healthy tomorrow if I dont start today. If I keep saying, "eh, I'll start t'morrow"... I will wake up next year and have had no change whatsoever.

Starting today, right now. Health comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment